Discussion Topics

« Return to Announcements

IMPORTANT Chile/Pepper growers please read

I just sent this blast:

The following is a forwarded message concerning the NM Chile Advertising Act and a hearing to be held regarding amendments: 

I’m sending the following letter from Save NM Seeds, concerning a public hearing tomorrow, Wednesday afternoon at 4:00. I’m also attaching the meeting announcement from NMSU, which sets out proposed amendments to the NM Chile Advertising Act.

If you can’t make it to the meeting, consider supporting Save NM Seeds’ position on the Chile Advertising (read “controlling”) Act by following the instructions below for signing on to a letter of support.

By sending this to you I may well be duplicating. Given the late notice, we’re just trying to get the word out to as many people as possible – before 8 am Wednesday.

Dear Friends,

New Mexico State University will have a hearing on the amendments to the NM Chile Advertising Act, Wednesday, July 10th. The amendments will regulate all growers of chile and peppers (all capsicum annuum) in NM, who refer to their chiles/peppers as being from any area in NM or if the name of the variety planted references NM.

For example, if you plant Isleta chile in the South Valley, you cannot call it Isleta or say it is from the South Valley, unless you are registered with the NM Department of Agriculture (NMDA). You can only call it “local.”

The bill also allows for NMDA to come to your place of business, inspect your records and remove or stop/sale, if you are not in compliance. Please refer to the “Amendment pg 9” for more details on other actions NMDA can take. We compiled the following documents into the attached file – NM Chile Advertising Act: letter from NMSU for the hearing, the current law and rules (passed in 2011), and the 2013 amendments.

We are opposed to these amendments. They are burdensome, unfair to small producers and give NMSU regulatory control over all chile and pepper growers in NM.

Since many of us cannot be there in person to testify, we will submit the attached letter (Sign-On Letter) in opposition at the hearing. The hearing is at 4 pm Wednesday July 10th at the NMSU Albuquerque Center, 4501 Indian School Rd NE, Ste. 100.

If you want to sign-on to the letter include:
Category (grower, organization, or consumer), Name, City/Town

For example: Grower, M. Martinez, Albuquerque
Consumer, J. Anderson, Embudo

Return names to: savenmseeds.org@gmail.com by 8 am Wednesday (July 10th) .

Questions: savenmseeds.org@gmail.com

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

Corrales Growers' Market